Confirming your tax residence

All UK banks are required to have their customers self-certify their country or countries of tax residence. We need to know where our customers are tax resident in order to comply with international tax reporting laws including the Common Reporting Standard (CRS) and Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA). These laws were introduced to combat offshore tax evasion.

You must be a UK tax resident to open an account with Chase. Customers who are also tax resident outside of the UK are subject to reporting to HMRC, who share this information with the relevant overseas tax authorities.

Your country of tax residence is generally the country you live in and are liable to pay tax in. Each jurisdiction has its own rules for defining tax residence. You can find further information on tax residence rules for many countries on the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) (Opens in new window) website. More information is also available on the GOV.UK website on information exchange (Opens in new window) and foreign income (Opens in new window) We are unable to provide tax advice to our customers.

We're unable to support customers who are resident or tax resident in Cuba, Iran, Syria or North Korea, due to our legal and regulatory obligations, as well as company policy.

Joining Chase

Travelling with Chase

Joint accounts

Proving your identity

Activating your card